ONE DIETITIAN'S GUIDE TO WHY? AND HOW? IN MAKING BEST FOOD CHOICES
Estimated Availability in Spring 2021: My INVITED target audience for this journey (and at the end of this manual are professional Certificates of Completion, with application for Approved Continuing Education Credits):
1. Outstanding Dietitians and Dietary Managers with dietary leadership in healthcare
2. Outstanding Physicians, Nurses, Allied Professionals, who may value this information for their patients
3. Outstanding Patients: Yes, that’s right, I have issued a Certificate of Completion to YOU, my worthy and valued readers, who are making your own journey with your family. In my opinion, we are All outstanding “patients” in our journey to find the BEST Food Choices
THE “WHY?” PART: Before you can make the “BEST” FOOD CHOICES IN MEAL PLANNING, you MUST have a firm foundation, based upon:
1. Your Desired Outcome: Optimum health (not just “OK” health, but OPTIMUM or the BEST health)
2. Review of Past and Current “accurate” professional and scientific data: This justifies your choices. What have we learned from the Past? How can we make changes so our “outcomes” or the nutritional status of our patients are IMPROVED? “OPTIMUM”?
3. Recognized, Recommended Guides/Position Papers/Resources/Regulations that have established nutrition standards and goals: In the world we live in, it is extremely important to base our decisions upon recognized “Standards of Care.” NOTE: Example Discussion: On the new law passed in CA, January 2019, with the intent that that ALL healthcare facilities must provide an adequate, equivalent Plant Based Diet (no meat or dairy or egg products) at all meals when requested as a patient preference.
4. Preventing “Poor Outcomes” such as Malnutrition and Reversing Diseases directly related to Food Choices: Ensuring that YOU are armed with the BEST knowledge so you can provide the BEST guidance to your patients for their Optimum Nutrition. As an expert witness in many sad litigations, I determined (and I have represented both sides: Facilities and families suing facilities) that the MAIN basic issue of why there was a lawsuit: The defendant (usually the facility with the dietitian or manager, or other allied health professionals) was accused of NOT having systems in place that ensured staff were following recognized Standards of Care, as defined in regulations or in their own approved Policies and Training. As a result, a patient choked to death or was given the wrong diet or was not given adequate nutrition care and had malnutrition. Isn’t this exactly what we are discussing here? This is powerful( stuff.
THE “HOW?: PART: There must be changes. Change is difficult. How can we make “baby steps” then “huge steps” in our dedicated goal to helping our patients implement their “BEST” Food Choices?
BONUS SECTION: ADAPTING FAVORITE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES INTO HEALTHIER LOW FAT,
MEATLESS RECIPES THAT TASTE EVEN BETTER!!(PIZZA, SPAGHETTI, TACOS, LASAGNA, CURRY, POT PIE, ETC)
COMING SOON: CLICK ON THE BLUE TITLE OF NEW MANUAL-WHICH TAKES YOU TO A DRAFT PREVIEW OF TABLE OF CONTENTS, AND PAYPAL BUTTON TO PURCHASE